Thursday, February 7, 2008

Humility

Governor Mitt Romney graciously stepped aside today allowing Senator McCain to carry on as the GOP standard bearer this fall. "I must now stand aside, for our party and our country," Romney told conservatives. "If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror," Romney told the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington. Romney was a long shot after being thumped on Super Tuesday even if he won every remaining state. But as I suggested before, he sets himself up nicely for 2012, if necessary. Remember, it took Ronald Reagan three tries to win the White House! If Romney releases his delegates to McCain, it all but guarantees McCain the nomination by the end of February. The GOP will owe Romney down the line for what he did today. I doubt McCain would select Romney as his vice president, but politics makes strange bedfellows. Romney did not endorse McCain and it appears that McCain did not ask for one. I had a lot of trouble with the Governor's conservative credentials, but I deeply respect his willingness to serve. With great humility and grace, Romney now allows McCain the time needed to unite the party behind him.

Speaking of "humility" and "grace", after telling conservatives to "calm down" the night before, John McCain gave a rousing "conservative" speech at CPAC today outlining his conservative credentials, speaking of his differences with conservatives, and giving his word that he will not disappoint conservatives should he win the White House. I'd love to give Senator McCain the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not going to be persuaded by one speech. McCain has "talked conservative" before, but sadly, the rhetoric does not match his record as a moderate to liberal maverick from Arizona. In his defense, I do trust him on Iraq and the war on terror, standing up for life, appointing strict constructionists to the bench, but I'm still not convinced when it comes to securing the borders or dealing with the illegal immigration problem effectively, making the Bush tax cuts permanent, fixing the environment, energy, and health care debacle by introducing market forces, or cutting some other back room deal with liberal Senators when our backs are turned. The idea that big government can fix any of these problems is absurd. Today's speech at CPAC was a step in the right direction for conservatives. However, we should remain dubious until he outlines, specifically, how he will deal with these other problems over the next few months. Just like the good folks from Missouri would say, "Show Me".

One last note...it appears that Hillary Clinton's campaign is in trouble. Since Tuesday, the Obama campaign has raised over $7 million. Mrs. Clinton had to loan her campiagn $5 million of her own money. She can thank the Bush tax cuts for that! Campaign staff are not being paid, including high level staffers. Folks are "volunteering" at this point. Moreover, Obama, by the slightest of margins, won the delegate count on Tuesday, won more states, and statistically tied Clinton on the number of raw votes each received. If that's not bad enough, the upcoming calendar DOES NOT favor Mrs. Clinton. Clearly, if Mrs. Clinton hopes to win the nomination, she'll need to survive the next two weeks, or this thing could be over by April despite the pledge of the so-called "super delegates". Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Jeff Scott said...

I still don't trust McCain on anything...he wants to close Guantanamo, where we get valuable information for the War against Islamic Radicalism. He wants enemy combatants to be tried in American courts and be given Constitutional rights. That's not conservative, nor is it wise, against the present enemy.

As for judges, keep in mind he was part of the "Gang of 14" and that he called judge Alito "too conservative." He talks the talk now that he needs it, but he can't walk the walk. I will not be voting for him in November.

Common Sense said...

I know. I know. I know. But Grant came into my office the other day and told me he voted for Hillary on Tuesday casting his ballot for "my kids". I guess all along I've been thinking about myself, and not my kids. The thought of what their futures would be like if Obama or Clinton was elected is almost too much to bear. Besides, McCain voted for Bork in 1987 when almost no one else did, especially the WH, after they left him out to dry.