Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Pope Benedict XVI in the US

As a Roman Catholic, I am obviously quite proud and elated that the Holy Father, Benedict XVI, is visiting the U.S. this week. You can read more about who the Pope is and why he's important at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24132448/. While he is not as "flashy" as John Paul II, Benedict is his predecessor's equal on orthodoxy, something which we Catholics, including yours truly, have strayed. Unfortunately in today's modern society, the word "orthodoxy" conjours up negative images and stereotypes, especially by secular progressives. Comedians like Bill Maher a noted aetheist, for example, takes Catholics and the Pope to task over our beliefs, customs, and Catholicism itself. However, what Maher and critics like him fail to understand is it is that same orthodoxy he makes fun of that gives the Pope, Bishops, and priests around the world the moral authority it takes to combat the relativism that has crept into our society and is trying to replace faith and religion. Heaven knows many of our politicians abandoned that moral high ground years ago. As a lapsed Catholic myself, these principles guide me in moments of weakness, when relativism is easier and if "it feels good, do it" would be the more popular thing to do. It's not easy being Catholic, just as I am sure it's not easy being Muslim or Protestant. But at the end of day, knowing I still embrace the orthodoxy of Catholicism, gives me a great sense of who I am and where I fit in the world. It's who I am no matter how I try to distance myself from it when I am weak. It makes me proud. Vivat Jesus! Vivat Pope Benedict XVI!

No comments: